User registration spam

tailongwan
Site Admin

User registration spam

Post by tailongwan »

Hi all,

I wanted to inform you that we are facing an increasing number of user registration spam, with dummy emails that of course i need to reject and delete before enabling the user. I hope of course that we do not miss some new true 400cc fans!

I ban IP and email as much as possible however it is like a water drop in the ocean …
I tried also to increase the security checks during the registration process but there are quite limited options right now with the forum version.

See it, say it, sort it 😂😂
Swingarm

Re: User registration spam

Post by Swingarm »

You'd think people would have more useful things to do with their time...
MadMotoUK

Post by MadMotoUK »

Tell me about it! I thought I'd leave you some this time Cyrille, you must have been feeling left out :lol:

Unfortunately, most of these new user registrations are AI bots. Fairly easy to detect as they're not very inventive and email addresses with multiple full stops, unknown hosts or no country ident are a dead giveaway. It's just time consuming to trash them all because in order to ban properly, you have to do each one individually - theres no bulk option to ban by IP for example.
cbr400rrn

Post by cbr400rrn »

What did CND used to chant…. Hmm 🤔 that was it BAN THE BOTS :lol:
MadMotoUK

Post by MadMotoUK »

Just checked the moderator log. Out of 26 pages, about 24 of them are me banning bots by email, username and IP :shock:
tailongwan
Site Admin

Post by tailongwan »

Yeah I do not have the patience to ban both email and IP, so I usually ban IP and I delete the user.
Don't worry MMUK, I can manage.
But if one of you has a better idea (I mean better than cbr400rrn :lol: :lol: :lol: ), I will be happy to implement it thru the admin or if needed I will update the phpBB version.
tailongwan
Site Admin

Post by tailongwan »

I configured a new spambot countermeasure tool with recaptcha v3, hope it will prevent from bot registration and still allow humain registration :?
MadMotoUK

Post by MadMotoUK »

Humain? (sp)

You mean we're not going to shoot them any more? :lol:
tailongwan
Site Admin

Post by tailongwan »

Oh sorry, human :D

:oops: :oops: